Thursday, July 14, 2011

Skirt Making part two

I get so frustrated trying to learn how to fix a commercial pattern.  Anyways I am making my own.  It's just a skirt after all.  So I am following the instructions I found here:
   www.threadsmagazine.com/item/4668/drape-​a-skirt-sloper

I made my darts, and now I'm pinning.  I think it is going pretty well.  Of course, I will try the darn thing on once I have it pinned.  I will even install a zipper to test the 'on and off' factor.  Let's face it when there is that much of a change between waist and hip, sometimes there is an issue.  I will also see how well it hangs off my hips.  The dress form may have my measurements, but I doubt there in the same spots.  Then I will take it apart, trace it out, write really good instructions and then make a wearable muslin.  I have denim that should work.




I am really trying to assure that the side seams stay perfectly on the side and the front and back centers stay where they need to be.  So lets say I am actually successful in creating the pattern...my plan then will be to cut it out in denim, cut a cute cotton facing for the waist and make the skirt.  No waistband.  I would like it sleek and straight.

I so hope I have some wonderful pictures to show you.  Maybe I will even do a Hong Kong finish inside with the same cute cotton fabric.   Wouldn't that be something.

Sewing was so much easier when I had less of a shape.

Sidenote:  did you notice I put a shirt on my dress form?  Yes it is RTW and I did it for modesty's sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment